• From an article called Parents Alert: Tinky Winky Comes Out of the Closet: “He is purple – the gay-pride colour; and his antenna is shaped like a triangle – the gay-pride symbol.”
• If you’re not a born-again Christian, you’re a failure as a human being.
• “I think [Desmond Tutu]‘s a phony, period, as far as representing the black people of South Africa.”
• AIDS is not just God’s punishment for homosexuals; it is God’s punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals.
• On September 11: The ACLU’s got to take a lot of blame for this… I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way—all of them who have tried to secularize America—I point the finger in their face and say, “You helped this happen.”
• I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won’t have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!
• It appears that America’s anti-Biblical feminist movement is at last dying, thank God, and is possibly being replaced by a Christ-centered men’s movement which may become the foundation for a desperately needed national spiritual awakening.
• There is no separation of church and state. Modern US Supreme Courts have raped the Constitution and raped the Christian faith and raped the churches by misinterpreting what the Founders had in mind in the First Amendment to the Constitution.
• The Jews are returning to their land of unbelief. They are spiritually blind and desperately in need of their Messiah and Savior.
• Grown men should not be having sex with prostitutes unless they are married to them.
• Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions.
• Textbooks are Soviet propaganda.
• The whole (global warming) thing is created to destroy America’s free enterprise system and our economic stability.
• I do not believe the homosexual community deserves minority status. One’s misbehavior does not qualify him or her for minority status. Blacks, Hispanics, women, etc., are God-ordained minorities who do indeed deserve minority status.
And of course, this doosy:
Archive for May, 2007
Electrelane, ‚”No Shouts, No Calls”
Beggars Banquet 2007
Fans of Stereolab bummed out about the band’s last few not-so-great records now have reason to rejoice: Electrelane have come along to pick up the slack. They share many of the same elements as the ‘lab: breathy, Euro-girl vocals, pulsating keyboards, and lots of random beeps and squeaks, and manage to mix their songs in a way that perfectly balances all the musical elements, never burying the vocals or throwing on extraneous distortion. Unlike the ‘lab, whose recent experiments have descended in to dull drones, Electrelane keep listeners engaged and don’t lose them in a haze of noise. While the whole album is solid, standout tracks include opener ‚”The Greater Times,” where lead singer Verity Susman shows off her vocal prowess; the spacey ‚”Tram 21,” and the hypnotic, bass-driven ‚”To The East.”
Tue 5/15 8:00 PM Electrelane, Tender Forever, The Blow The Fillmore New York at Irving Plaza 16+ $15
Guess we need to get tickets. Here’s the line-up thus far:
The White Stripes
The Flaming Lips
Cold War Kids
Kings of Leon
Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys
Rodrigo y Gabriela
FULL LIST AFTER THE JUMP
Erasure will be performing August 3rd.
Also: The FREE JELLYNYC POol Parties at McCarren Park Pool this year will include: Blonde Redhead, Ted Leo/Rx, The Thermals, Ghostland Observatory, Octopus Project, Man Man, Illinois, I’m From Barcelona, Dengue Fever, and THE RUB DJs. Confirmed dates and many more surprises to come. We’ve got the full calendar (thus far) here.
I’m From Barcelona to perform August 5.
Go to see 28 Weeks Later with a group of Zombies. If that doesn’t interest you, Mountain Goats are playing a free show at Sound Fix.
Todd P presents Tussle w/ Bronze and Nymph
when: Sat 5.12 (8pm)
where: Silent Barn (915 Wyckoff Ave, Bushwick)
details: click here
From Flavorpill: Tussle may have made their name in dubby post-punk, but with their latest record, Telescopic Mind, they’ve taken quite the Krauty turn down the Autobahn.
Video Wednesday rolls on with this quick clip from last night’s ‚”ripped from the headlines” episode of Law & Order, which dealt with the whole Anna Nicole Smith being dead affair. To make the event even more spectacular, the producers of the show decided to have David Cross play the Howard K. Stern role in the whole fiasco, and he nailed it.
Why yes, you were wrong. Tony Blair finally admits he may have been wrong to invade Iraq as he announces his resignation. Now, if Bush and company would do the same, we’d be delighted.
Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy covering “Freebird”, of course. Check it out here
Two nights ago, the California Guitar Trio– three international acoustic virtuosos who met while touring with Robert Fripp, who blend folk, blues, jazz, and various rock sounds, and whose repertoire includes covers of everything from Beethoven to “Classical Gas”– performed at the Listening Room at Louisville’s 930 Art Center (MySpace). In attendance was Will Oldham aka Bonnie “Prince” Billy. The CGT closed their set with a reggae-esque version of Lynryd Sknyrd’s “Freebird” and welcomed Bonnie onto the stage to sing it. We’re not sure if this was spontaneous or not. Enjoy!