I would never want to make light of the tragedy of September 11, but as
time goes on I'm starting to realize that the need to laugh and have fun
is essential to our sanity. We sent out a questionnaire to many of our
friends and acquaintances hoping they could share with us and our readers
how they are coping with the tragedy and maybe provide a few suggestions
for distractions and diversions. Their responses are documented throughout
this section and my personal responses are below, but first here are some
of my reflections on the absudity of the times we are living through:
It must be Armageddon:
1. All my Lefty friends are supporting Guilliani.
2. I saw a kid in a Pavement shirt wearing a gas mask.
3. I heard a black man say to a friend in passing "for once I don't feel
like a second class citizen."
4. Bill Maher almost got kicked of Politically Incorrect for being politically
5. The NRA and the far Left are actually joining forces against Ashcroft
6. I almost forgot about Gary Condit. Who the hell is Aaliyah?
2. Counting how many times you hear Bush say "resolve" on the news.
3. Leaving NYC Forever
4. Hate Crimes (against Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, of course)
1. How have you been spending your days?
Starting my own personal stockpile of water.... and tequila.
2. Have you been exercising and doing yoga, or drinking and smoking?
Definitely drinking and smoking.
3. What books, music, or videos have helped you escape the news?
Motherless Brooklyn is a perfect book to escape with. It is one
of the few books I've ever read that made me laugh out loud.
I've also been enjoying the new Ryan Adams CD Gold. Patriotic as
hell and very earnest. A perfect fit because the media keeps telling me
I'm past being ironic.
I'm also looking forward to seeing the new David Lynch movie Mulholland
Drive. I hear that its wonderful. Most importantly I recommend garbage
TV. Blind Date and Fear Factor are better than a Calgon bath!
4. What should readers do to have fun in the upcoming days?
Take a trip to Dollyworld, of course.
5. Recommend a tourist attraction, gallery, museum, park, music show,
or whatever else you know about going on in New York City.
I just recommend getting back into Manhattan and spending some money.
We need to all get out of our bunkers in the outer boroughs and back into
the city from time to time.