This week’s edition of “Most Blogged About Shows” falls on a leap day. Much has changed since the last leap day.
On February 29, 2008:
- George W. Bush was in the White House.
- “Road margaritas” were readily available from Turkey’s Nest on Bedford Ave.
- The domestication of dogs continued, unabated.
- Zucotti Park was just some concrete slab.
- Chillwave was nothing more than a twinkle in Ernest Greene’s eye
What was our MOST BUZZED artist, The Roots, doing in 2008?
Why, they embarrassingly cut a single with FALL OUT BOY lead singer Patrick Stump! Sorry guys, we didn’t forget about that (even if you tried to make us by cutting it from the LP.) Don’t let that dissuade you from seeing them on Tuesday at the Apollo Theater. One thing has NOT changed; The Roots are an INCREDIBLE live act and one of the best hip-hop acts of all time. Don’t miss out.
My personal CAN’T MISS shows this week are Cults, Writer and Mrs. Magician on Friday night over at Maxwell’s, and Tennis and Hospitality, Monday night at Music Hall of Williamsburg. I’m all about the female-fronted acts this week.
If you can’t make it all the way out to Maxwell’s on Friday, Matthew Dear, Blondes and Helado Negro bring their electronic stylings to Bowery Ballroom. Don’t end the night there – hop on the M for the after-party over at Glasslands, which features a DJ set by Dabrye.
Speaking of Glasslands, they have an absurdly good hip-hop show this weekend with Oakland’s own Main Attrakionz, with BBU, Greedhead’s Big Baby Gandhi and Beans of Antipop Consortium. Also at Glasslands, shoegaze-revivalists Widowspeak front a Captured Tracks showcase Saturday night, with Mac DeMarco and Quilt supporting.
Craig Finn plays two sold out shows shows at Mercury Lounge TONIGHT, if you missed him last week. Cheap Girls, The Sidekicks and Brothers of Brazil rock the rising Knitting Factory on Tuesday; or if you’re in the mood for something more chill on a weeknight, catch ambient musician Julia Holter with Sarah Cahill at (le) Poisson Rouge.
LASTLY – Coldplay and Mumford and Sons are in town for a show at Radio City on Sunday night. File that one under “ridiculously expensive show that no one reading this blog post will attend.”
- Peter Rittweger of My Social List
TOP 10 FOR THE NEXT 7 DAYS
10. Widowspeak @ Glasslands Gallery w/ Mac DeMarco, Quilt
Saturday, March 3rd at 8:30pm – 21+, $10 – $12 -> tickets
9. Julia Holter @ (le) poisson rouge w/ Sarah Cahill
Tuesday, March 6th at 7:00pm – all ages, $12 – $15 -> tickets
8. Cheap Girls @ Knitting Factory w/ The Sidekicks, Brothers of Brazil
Tuesday, March 6th at 6:30pm – all ages, $8 – $10 -> tickets
7. Craig Finn @ The Mercury Lounge w/ Marcellus Hall
Wednesday, February 29th at 9:30pm – 21+, SOLD OUT
6. Main Attrakionz @ Glasslands Gallery w/ BBU, Big Baby Ghandi
Sunday, March 4th at 8:30pm – 21+, $12 -> tickets
5. Tennis @ Music Hall of Williamsburg w/ Hospitality
Monday, March 5th at 8:00pm – 18+, $15 -> tickets
4. Matthew Dear @ Bowery Ballroom w/ Blondes, Helado Negro
Friday, March 2nd at 8:30pm – 18+, $15 -> tickets
3. The Secret Policeman’s Ball @ Radio City Music Hall w/ Coldplay, Mumford & Sons, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Russell Brand, Reggie Watts, The Secret Policeman’s Ball
Sunday, March 4th at 7:00pm – all ages, $55 – $505 -> tickets
2. Cults @ Maxwell’s w/ Writer, Mrs. Magician
Friday, March 2nd at 8:00pm – 18+, SOLD OUT
1. Rober Johnson at 100 @ The Apollo Theater w/ The Roots, Shemekia Copeland, Bettye LaVette, Taj Mahal, Keb’ Mo’, Sam Moore, Todd Rundgren, Rober Johnson at 100
Tuesday, March 6th at 8:00pm – all ages, $48.5 – $128.5 -> tickets
Shows Going on Sale This Week:
Thursday, March 1st at 10:00am
Thursday, March 1st at 12:00pm
Friday, March 2nd at 9:00am
Friday, March 2nd at 10:00am
Maps & Atlases @ The Studio @ Webster Hall on 05/21 – tbd
Aziz Ansari @ The Wellmont Theatre on 04/14 – $35 – $45
John Prine @ The Wellmont Theatre on 04/20 – $39.5 – $65
Iron Maiden @ Nikon at Jones Beach Theater on 06/27 – $29.5 – $89.5
LMFAO @ Nassau Coliseum on 06/26 – $34.5 – $64.5
Aziz Ansari @ Beacon Theatre on 06/16 – $60
Friday, March 2nd at 12:00pm
fun. @ Terminal 5 on 06/16 – $25 – $30
Off! @ Bowery Ballroom on 05/29 – $15
Neon Trees @ Bowery Ballroom on 04/16 – $20
Nick Lowe @ The Town Hall on 04/25 – $40 – $50
Childish Gambino @ Central Park Summerstage on 06/25 – $35 – $40
Ane Brun @ Bowery Ballroom on 05/07 – $15
Reckless Kelly @ Bowery Ballroom on 05/12 – $17 – $20
The Drums @ Webster Hall on 04/22 – $20
Gentleman Hall @ The Mercury Lounge on 04/06 – $10
Walk Off The Earth @ The Mercury Lounge on 04/06 – $12
Hess Is More @ The Mercury Lounge on 04/27 – $10
Chain & the Gang @ The Mercury Lounge on 04/14 – $10 – $12
Savoir Adore @ The Mercury Lounge on 04/13 – $10 – $12
Ravens & Chimes @ The Mercury Lounge on 04/17 – $10
Zun Zun Egui @ The Mercury Lounge on 04/19 – $10 – $12
Dirty Projectors @ Prospect Park Bandshell on 07/10 – $30
Anders Osborne @ Bowery Ballroom on 06/02 – $20
James Morrison @ Webster Hall on 05/15 – $25
Saturday, March 3rd at 10:00am
My Social List is happy to partner with Freewilliamsburg to bring you the best of music in the New York area. My Social List tracks nine of the most popular music blogs and aggregates mentions of bands to create weekly Top 10 Lists of the city’s most exciting and highly-anticipated shows.